Symphonic Wind Band Composition Competition
The Lesbian & Gay Big Apple Corps Symphonic Band is pleased to announce its 2022 Composition Competition!
- The competition is open to Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) composers who live in the United States and its territories. We encourage LGBTQIA+ composers, especially from the New York City Area.
- Only one work per composer will be considered.
- Preference will be given to unperformed works written in 2022.
- Works must be for full Symphonic Wind Band (see instrumentation below). Works with soloists, either instrumental or vocal, are not eligible. Works with electronics or chorus are not eligible.
The winning composition will be performed at our April 2023 concert at Peter Norton Symphony Space: 2537 Broadway, New York, NY 10025
An 8-10 minute programmatic work.
- Piccolo, Flute 1/2, Oboe 1/2, Bassoon 1/2;
- E♭ Clarinet, B♭ Clarinet 1/2/3, B♭ Bass Clarinet, B♭ Contrabass Clarinet (optional);
- B♭ Soprano Saxophone (optional), E♭ Alto Saxophone 1/2, B♭ Tenor Saxophone, E♭ Baritone Saxophone;
- B♭ Trumpet 1/2/3, F Horn 1/2/3/4, Trombone 1/2/3, Euphonium, Tuba;
- String Bass;
- Percussion – up to 12 players, including piano and mallets (vibraphone, marimba, glockenspiel, xylophone and crotales)
Preference will be given to compositions that utilize a large percussion section.
- Submit full score in PDF format.
- Submit recording (MIDI renditions accepted) in MP3 format.
- Please make up a pseudonym. Scores and recordings should be anonymous, with no identifying information other than your “Pseudonym”. Please label as follows [Pseudonym_score] & [Pseudonym_recording].
- Please submit a bio labeled: [LGBAC Composition Competition_bio_“your full name”].
- Also submit a headshot labeled: [LGBAC Composition Competition_headshot_“your full name”].
Submissions should be sent to: email@example.com
Only e-mail submissions will be accepted. Please do not send hard copies.
A panel made up of the Music Director, Assistant Conductor, and the Artistic Production Committee (made up of members of the band) will judge the submissions.
There is no fee to enter.
November 18, 2022
Adjustments/edits may be requested of winning compositions to fit our ensemble’s unique set-up.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Henco Espag, the Music Director of the Symphonic Band at firstname.lastname@example.org.