2018 CONCERTO COMPETITION
New York City’s Lesbian & Gay Big Apple Corps Symphonic Band (LGBAC) is pleased to announce its third annual NYC High School Musician Concerto Competition. The winner will appear as a guest soloist with The Lesbian & Gay Big Apple Corps Symphonic Band and receive a $1,000 cash prize. The LGBAC’s concerto competition is one of few in the nation to feature only woodwind, brass, and percussion soloists and wind ensemble.
Click here to view and download the application.
Who Is Eligible?
The 2018 competition is open to all high school (grades 9-12) woodwind, brass, and percussion musicians who are residents of New York City or enrolled in a New York City public or private school during the 2017-2018 academic year. Immediate family members of current LGBAC members are not eligible.
Click here to view and download the application.
- Fill out the application form.
- Select one of the works indicated for your instrument from the attached list. You may select a work that is not on the list, provided it is published and available for wind ensemble.
- Record your performance of that work accompanied by piano or wind ensemble. If the work is multi-movement, submit a performance of one movement, otherwise submit a performance of the piece in its entirety. MP3 format is preferred.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher familiar with your musicianship.
Application packets must be postmarked or sent via email by November 1, 2017 to either of the following addresses:
LGBAC Concerto Competition
332 Bleecker St. #K48
New York, NY 10010
Based on the application materials received, finalists will be selected and invited to compete in the final round of live auditions. All finalists will be notified by November 10, 2017. The final auditions will be held at 2:00 PM on Saturday, December 9, 2017 at a venue to be announced. Finalists will perform the same selection submitted with their application materials in front of a panel of judges headed by LGBAC Music Director, Henco Espag.
LGBAC will provide a pianist to accompany each contestant for the final round, but finalists may use their own accompanist.
All finalists must be accompanied by a parent or guardian!
The winner will be invited to perform their audition selection in concert with the LGBAC Symphonic Band at Symphony Space in New York City on Saturday, April 7, 2018. The winner will also receive a cash prize of $1,000 from the Lesbian & Gay Big Apple Corps.
2018 CONCERTO COMPETITION TIMELINE
- Application packets must be postmarked or e-mailed by November 1, 2017
- Finalists will be notified on or before November 10, 2017
Friday, December 8, 2017
Rehearsal with LGBAC pianist
Saturday, December 9, 2017
Finalists’ live audition in NYC, 2:00 PM
Saturday, April 7, 2018
Performance with The Lesbian & Gay Big Apple Corps Symphonic Band
All questions may be directed to: email@example.com
2018 Concerto Competition Repertoire
Candidates are encouraged to select from the following list:
- “Piccolo Concerto” by Eric Ewazen
- “Grand Polonaise in D”, Opus 16 by Theobald Boehm
- “Cantabile et Presto” by Georges Enesco
- “Variations on a Theme by Glinka” by Nicolai Rimsky-Korsakov
- “Allegro Spiritoso from Oboe Concerto in C” by Joseph Haydn
- “Solo de Concours” by André Messager
- “Concertino for Clarinet, Opus 26” by Carl Maria von Weber
- “Up to No Good (for bass clarinet and wind band)” by Brad Baumgardner
- “Rondo from Bassoon Concerto in B-flat, K. 191” by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- “Bassoon Concerto in F, Opus 75” by Carl Maria von Weber
- “Concertino for Soprano Saxophone and Symphonic Band” by Bernard van Beurden
- “Concerto for Alto Saxophone and Band, Opus 26” by Paul Creston
- “Alto Saxophone Concerto in E-flat, Opus 109” by Alexander Glazunov
- “Concerto for Tenor Sax and Band” by Robert Ward
- “Vongole for Baritone Sax and Concert Band” by Satoshi Yagisawa
- “Trumpet Concerto in E-flat” by Joseph Haydn
- “Trumpet Concerto in E-flat” by Johann Nepomuk Hummel
- “Villanelle” by Paul Dukas
- “Morceau de concert,” Opus 94 by Camille Saint-Saëns
- “Concertino for Euphonium and Concert Band” by Rolf Wilhelm
- “Fantasia for Euphonium and Band” by Gordon Jacob
- “Fantasia di Concerto” by Eduardo Boccalari
- “Trombone Concerto” by Launy Grøndahl
- “Trombone Concerto” by Henri Tomasi
- “SubZERO (for bass trombone and wind band)” by Daniel Schnyder
- “Deux Danses (for bass trombone and wind ensemble)” by Jean-Michel Defaÿ
- “Concerto in One Movement (for bass trombone and wind ensemble)” by Alexey Lebedev
- “Concerto for Tuba and Wind Ensemble” by Øystein Baadsvik
- “Concertino for Tuba and Band” by James Curnow
- “Concertino for Tuba and Wind Instruments” by Rolf Wilhelm
- “Concerto for Timpani and Wind Orchestra” by Jeff Tyzik
- “Zipzap (for drum set and wind band)” by Adam Silverman
- “Marimba Concerto, Opus 12” by Ney Rosauro
- “Timpat (for Timpani and wind ensemble)” by Robert Leist
Click here to hear our 2015 Concerto Competition winner, clarinetist Vladimir Gessen!